Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Keeping Score by Elaine Davenport (Thursday, September 20, 2007)

When we were little kids and I would sulk; my sister would ask what's wrong. I wouldn't even answer until she had asked me 5 or 6 times. I determined that she wasn't going to ask anymore, so I answered quite pitifully: "You did this to me, remember." I would say almost to the point of tears.

My sister would respond with wisdom: "Well, I did that because of what you did. We'd go back and forth until we were exhausted never resolving anything.

The most that we knew about forgiveness at that6 time from a practical sense was saying: "I'm sorry."

Now, in my house if you said it, you had to mean it; at least that's what I believed. My parents were pretty passionate.

A lot of people bring those childhood habits of keeping score into adult relationships and it's just not the best way to handle things. I wonder if it impacts our divorce rates, crime rates and how much it spills over into our everyday affairs.

Keeping score twinges on unforgiveness; it hinders the love walk.

Proverbs 20:22
Do not say, "I'll pay you back for this wrong!" Wait for the LORD, and he will deliver you.


Colossians 3:13
Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

No comments: