Saturday, June 2, 2007

AN ANGELIC DELIVERY by ELAINE DAVENPORT(Sunday, June 3, 2007)

Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16: 15
Dear __________, How are you today? God Bless you and your family. I think about you a lot. I really do. I also pray for you. I don’t know what’s going on but your name keep coming up in my head and you’re on my heart a lot. You are a very nice person. You are a good person. It brings to mind a letter that I received from a dear friend by the name of Ruth Bankston.

Ruth left a message for me on my doorstep one day. I opened it up and it said: Elaine, you are a really nice person. You are a good person; you do so many beneficial things for the community. She went on to imply that I was pretty good at serving others unselfishly…and then she hit me with some words that would change my life. And so, of course; now I am going to say them to you:

ARE YOU FEEDING YOURSELF SPIRITUALLY?
Now maybe if you’re reading this letter, you might have a
long list of responses and I’ll say this: Who can tell? (that you’re feeding yourself and those around you spiritually)
I say this to encourage you to share what you know, to pass it on as though it is contagious. PLEASE!

When I read that letter, I was stumped. The question haunted me: What was this all about?... I thought. ( ARE YOU FEEDING YOURSELF SPIRITUALLY?) It really made me think. I felt guilty. What was I doing to myself? It’s a very simple question. I wasn’t even sure what the answer was, but when I became truthful with myself the answer was a FLAT OUT NO, I WAS FEEDING MY FACE (don’t laugh) but not my spirit. I’m just keeping it real ! I didn’t even know it was a problem until Ruth left that note on the doorstep.


That’s when I found out that I was spiritually starved! You see, I had never really thought about it. But from my background in life;
I just knew that there was something to this. Raised from a small child in the Lutheran church; I clearly knew that I was a spirit being.

I started thinking and thinking about that. My investigation led me to a new spiritual level. I took on some new habits. I started reading, hearing and speaking the Word of God and I found out that my spirit was just waiting for me to WAKE UP! I had a new walk, a new talk…I changed. Even after I realized all of this as you probably do too; I had to take extra care to protect myself to KEEP these good habits and to keep my spirit on full.

For those of you who are “seasoned” believers on a sure spiritual track…stay on guard. Don’t let anything get you off track. Don’t let anything slip…. The bible warns us in 1Peter 5: 8

(Peter commands saints to) Be sober, be circumspect, be cool, be marked by self-control, show sound moral judgment (Do it now. It is urgent). Be alert, vigilant, wide awake (Do it now. It is urgent). Your opponent (adversary) like a lion continually roaring and howling, is continuously walking around (pacing back and forth), continuously seeking to drink (you) down and devour (you).

I invite you to begin your own investigation NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE AT OR THINK YOU ARE OR AT. You have to do this my friend. And if you do…your life will get better (yes, it can even get better than it is now) and so will the lives of everyone who comes in contact with you.

I thank God for my friend Ruth Bankston. You see, she took the time to ask me that question and when she did; she gave me a gift. She thought me worthy of it. The gift…that gift was priceless! My life is changed. All because she cared. All because she loved God so much that when He asked her to say that to me…she didn’t blink an eye; she just did it! She had no way of knowing that I was really ready to receive it. I am humbled and I am thankful. If you don’t believe me, feed your spirit to see if my words are true. In the meantime, if you’ll just pass this gift on- you’ll be Blessed. Thank you and stay in touch. Love Sister Elaine

_____________________________________________________________________________________

No comments: